Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

WES MONTGOMERY

Influencing many guitar greats such as Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriano, Jimi Hendrix, David Becker, Joe Diorio, Steve Lukather, George Benson, and Pat Methney site Wes Montgomery as the force that shaped their music style and technique, Lee Ritenour dedicated an album in 1992 called Wes Bound.
John Leslie "Wes" Montgomery a native of Indianapolis, Indiana and his brothers formed and recorded as the Montgomery Brothers: Monk (string and electric bass), Buddy (vibraphone and piano).

Wes learned to play the six string guitar by listening and learning from recordings of his idol, guitarist Charlie Christian at the age of twenty, although he played the four string guitar at the age of four. Montgomery played with many jazz and be-bop contemporaries Lionel Hampton, Freddie Hubbard, Cannonball Adderly, Nate Adderly, Jimmy Smith, Percy Heath, Jimmy Cobb, Tommy Flanagan, Paul Chambers, John Coletrain, and Miles Davis.

Listening to Bumpin for the first time sent me on a journey like no other. Windows were lowered, I turned the volume up. The guitar was telling a story as if it was saying check me out! With the wind in my face and sun shining it could not be a better backdrop. I was bobbing my head to the rhythm enjoying each individual note, syncopation, the brushes kissing the drums, soft strings crescendo blended so smooth I was besides myself.  It got so good to me, when I got to my destination..... I jumped out my car and started swaying my hips, dipping my legs, eyes closed. I was memorized. You know it's good stuff when a song take you there.

Four on Six... he shows his genius. The bass walking, drums makes the tempo jump, piano strolling. These cats were on a roll, classic, classy, and very cool.

 Wes Montgomery



1958 American Jazz Classics
1958 Pacific Jazz





1958 Blue Note / Pacific Jazz





1959 Pacific Jazz





1959 Riverside/OJC





1960 Capitol Jazz / Blue Note





1960 Original Jazz Classics





1960 Riverside Records / Riverside/OJC





1961 Fantasy/OJC / Original Jazz Classics





1961 Original Jazz Classics





1961 Milestone Records





1962





1962 Riverside/OJC





1963 Concord / Concord Music Group / Fantasy / Universal Music





1963 Milestone Records





1963 Original Jazz Classics / Riverside/OJC





1963 Original Jazz Classics / Riverside Records





1963 Original Jazz Classics





1963 Milestone Records





1963 Milestone Records





1964 DCC Jazz / DCC Compact Classics





1964 Verve / Polygram





1965 Affinity





1965 France's Concert





1965 Affinity





1965 Universal Distribution





1965 Universal Distribution / Verve





1965





1965 Verve





1966 Verve





1966 Universal Classics & Jazz / Verve





1966 DCC Jazz / DCC Compact Classics





1966 Universal Distribution





1966 Verve / PolyGram / Universal Distribution





1966 Universal Music / Verve





1967 A&M





1968 A&M





1968 Vgm





1968 A&M





1970 Verve





Project 3

No comments:

Post a Comment